What comprised a Commercial Photography Studio during the 1950’s and 1960’s?


This question has come up occasionally at speaking engagements, from friends or from some of my children’s friends.  What was a commercial photography studio?  Simply put, a commercial photography studio provided professional photographic services to businesses, organizations and individuals. Most commercial studios included a professional photographer or two taking studio and on-location photographs and a lab technician developing and making prints. Brady Stewart Studio was quite different, they offered an extensive line of services geared to advertising agencies, art studios and major corporations.

Brady Stewart Studio display at Ketchum McLeod and Grove offices in the Chamber of Commerce Building

Brady Stewart Studio display at Ketchum McLeod and Grove offices in the Chamber of Commerce Building

The services included; on-location photography, in-studio photography, film processing (negatives and transparencies), black and white & color prints, reproduction of an original print or transparency (copy negative), color, B&W and/or kodalith 35mm, 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 super, 3″x 4″ lantern slides and 8×10 vu-graphs submitted from art and type, print mounting, photostats for advertising layouts, passport and Public Relations photos.

Robert Pavuchak getting ready to trim prints while Brady Stewart Sr is preparing a print for mounting on cardboard.

Robert Pavuchak getting ready to trim prints while Brady Stewart Sr is preparing a print for mounting on cardboard.

An important dynamic that drove the success of the commercial photographers was that 35mm personal cameras did not gain popularity until the mid 1960’s and there were no 1-hour photo labs to process film and make prints. So if you wanted quality photographic services, you went to a professional photographer. During this time, Brady Stewart Studio was the largest commercial photography studio in western Pennsylvania. The studio contracted business from the largest corporations, advertising agencies, architects, art studios, non-profit organization and small businesses throughout the region. A short list of clients included; Ketchum McLeod and Grove Advertising, Lando Advertising, Walker Advertising, W Craig Chambers Advertising, Wasey Ruthranff & Ryan Advertising, Fuller Smith and Ross Advertising, Town Studios, Peter Muller & Munk, the Pennsylvania Railroad, Railway Express (forerunner of the Port Authority), Alcoa, Westinghouse, US Steel Corporation, Calgon, Pittsburgh Coke and Chemical, Swindell Dresser, H.K. Porter, Reed Smith, Shaw and McClay Attorneys, Richardson Gordon Architects, Ingram Boyd and Pratt Architects, Israel Bonds, Pittsburgh Regional Planning Association, Eiben and Irr department store, Andy Gamble Interior Design, Goodwill Industries, Salvation Army and many more.

Brady Stewart Jr. working with an art director to create an acceptable product shot. - 1950

Brady Stewart Jr. working with an art director to create an acceptable product shot. – 1950

Up through the 1960’s, Brady Stewart Studio and other professional photographers primarily used large format cameras for assignments; 2 1/4 x 2 1/4, 4×5 and or 8/10. Based on the assignment and budget, the proper equipment and personnel were chosen to complete the assignment within the required time frame. The studio was designed and staffed to make sure all assignments were completed on time, within budget and with the highest quality,  They earned the reputation as the “go to” studio for complex photographic assignments.  And it helped that Brady Stewart Sr had over 50 years of photography experience in the darkroom and on-location; Brady Stewart Jr over 20 years and the rest of the staff a combined 20+ years of experience.  It was a creative environment where the staff’s input was solicited and valued.

Brady Stewart Jr and Ross Catanza on location at the Library with the 8x10 Deardorff camera - 1957

Brady Stewart Jr and Ross Catanza on location at the Library with the 8×10 Deardorff camera – 1957

I will try to give you a feel for what it was like at Brady Stewart Studio on any given day.  You never knew what was going to come through the door or where the staff photographers would be needed that day. Office hours were 9:00 to 5:00 but staff was always there early and late nearly everyday; mainly due to trying to avoid rush hour traffic.  One needs to remember that there were a lot more people commuting in and out of Pittsburgh during this time. The city population peaked in 1950 (677,000) and the region grew dramatically from 1950 (1.53M) to 1970 (1.85M). Lots of traffic and lots of road improvements during this time.

Sally Stewart answering the phones at Brady Stewart Studio - 1954

Sally Stewart answering the phones at Brady Stewart Studio – 1954

The phone would start ringing at 9:00 with pick ups all over town.  The last person hired would be the messenger boy while learning how to be a photographer’s assistant. Or if you were part of the family and needed money during the summer…  Cathleen Brady Stewart, Brady Stewart III and Michael Stewart were all “messenger boys” during the 1960’s.  Brady Stewart Sr loved to walk around town so he would break in the new messengers, he knew every inch of the city along with where every client was located.

The daily work was laid out for each photographer when they arrived at the office.  Most of the assignment were routine for regular clients but some would require a meeting to discuss the equipment and personnel needed for the job.  There was always a lot of lab work to be done; film processing, contact sheets, copy negatives, black and white prints, head and shoulder shots for PR, and photostats for advertising layouts.  The more professional work was done by Brady Stewart Jr Ross Catanza and Dave VanDeVeer which included; on-location assignments, studio set ups, 35mm slides and display transparencies. Complex location photography at manufacturing plants or at client headquarters was usually set up well in advance through an advertising agency, PR firm or art studio.

Ross Catanza filling out paperwork on his last assignment - 1956

Ross Catanza filling out paperwork on his last assignment – 1956

Then you got the in-day rushes from the advertising agencies and art studios that “had to be done” immediately so they could meet client deadlines.  These happened everyday and would always lead to someone having to work overtime to get them finished.  I must say, it was usually my father that got stuck with most of the overtime and weekend work.  For as long as I can remember, he was rarely home for dinner and always worked weekends… the downside of owning your own business. And having run the business after his death from 1980 to 1991, I usually made dinner, but routinely went back to finish up the work for the next morning.

Brady Stewart Jr finishing up a studio set-up assignment -1959

Brady Stewart Jr finishing up a studio set-up assignment -1959

For the most part, our clients were great to work with and made the long hours bearable.  One of our favorites was renown Pitt professor of Radiology, Dr. Lewis Etter.  He used to come in with human skulls and skeletons to photograph for his landmark books about the skull.  More about Dr. Etter in the next post.  On another day, Dr Stuart from the University of Pittsburgh dental school called in a said she needed a “fresh sample” photographed immediately and she would be at the office in 20 minutes.  Given that she was from the school of dentistry, they thought it would be teeth but were shocked when she arrived with the stomach lining of a cow!

Dr. Lewis Etter's artwork for his book on the Human Skull - 1

Dr. Lewis Etter’s artwork for his book on the Human Skull – 1954

We were contract staff photographers for the Pennsylvania Railroad and Railway Express during the 1950’s and early 1960’s. They each had staff photographers but due to the sheer volume of work, they often needed us to photograph an accident scene or show up for an employee award ceremony.  Both were large employers in Pittsburgh during this time.and gave us a lot of work.

Assignment for Railway Express a truck and trolley accident - 1954

Assignment for Railway Express a truck and trolley accident – 1954

The 1950’s and 1960′ have been called by some the golden age of Pittsburgh Advertising.  There were a large number of quality advertising agencies and art studios throughout the city. After all Pittsburgh was headquarters to a large number of Fortune 500 companies that all needed quality Advertising and Public Relations services.  Depending on the project, the studio either worked directly for the corporation or through their advertising agency  or art studio.

Major Henry Dries at Brady Stewart Studio for PR shot while product photography for American Standard in the background - 1955

Major Henry Dries at Brady Stewart Studio for PR shot while product photography for American Standard in the background – 1955

Every since the start of the business in 1912, Brady Stewart was interested in creating slides for presentations to family, friends and peers.  From 1907 to 1912 he was director of Lantern Slides for the Photographic Section, the Academy of Science and Art of Pittsburgh (today the Pittsburgh Photo Club). He created beautiful hand-colored slides of his travels to Idaho and other favorite scenes from his early life. He carried that passion forward to Brady Stewart Studio where from 1950 to 1991, the studio was best known for creating any kind of slide in any format (35mm-8×10 vu-graphs) and any film type (ektachrome, kodalith, B&W, diazochrome) for any presentation environment.

Brady Stewart and friends camping near Twin Falls Idaho - 1910

Brady Stewart and friends camping near Twin Falls Idaho – 1910

With the advent of television, advertising agencies needed slides formatted to project well on a television screen. The studio created grids to fit inside 35mm. cameras and also added a grid inside a light source to project on the table so the type and graphic fit perfectly within the TV area.  And with the introduction of 35mm Ektachrome film in 1955, the studio’s most consistent work was creating 35mm. color slides of advertising and artwork for client approvals and business presentations.

Duquesne Brewery Company Beer Advertisement - 1967

Duquesne Brewery Company Beer Advertisement – 1967

Brady Stewart Studio offices were located at 725 Liberty Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh from 1952 to 1966.  It was a centralized location to get to most of their larger accounts and easy access in and out-of-town.  My favorite lunch spot around the office were The Brass Rail, Palmer’s Restaurant, and the Atlantic Grill… and we can’t forget DImling’s Candies next door!  There were also good lunch counters at Sun Drugs and G.C. Murphy’s.  The street car (trolley) stopped right out front at Max Azen’s Furs so it was easy for us to get in and out-of-town traveling to the South Hills.  And we got all of our sporting goods right across the street at Eiben and Irr Department Store.  It was a great place to visit and look around at all the new stuff.

Pittsburgh PA:  New Wilson Golf clubs and RCA Color Televisions for sale at Eiben and Irr Department Store - 1958.  Eiben and Irr Jewelry and Department Store operated in downtown Pittsburgh at the corner of Wood Street and Liberty Avenue from 1953-1979.

Pittsburgh PA: New Wilson Golf clubs and RCA Color Televisions for sale at Eiben and Irr Department Store – 1958.

After Brady Stewart passed away in 1965, the studio moved to the Empire Building next to the Jenkins Arcade.  It was a practical move since Ketchum McLeod and Grove had  moved to Gateway Center 4 a few years earlier; they were the studio’s largest account.  The business started to change in the mid-1960’s and a number of the professional photographic services were no longer exclusive to the commercial photographic studio.  There were a lot of new photographers that only shot location photography and used photographic laboratories to process and make prints.  The Kodak Photographic labs took off during the 1960’s due to the dramatic increase in the use of 35mm cameras.  Advertising agencies and art studios purchased their own photostat equipment so a lot of the “steady” work was gone.

Westinghouse Showcase of Televisions - 1968

Westinghouse Showcase of Televisions – 1968

The studio changed with the times and downsized to match the daily workflow.  Ross Catanza joined the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and had a long award-winning career.  Robert Pavuchak joined the Pittsburgh Press and also had a long and award-winning career.  Dave VanDeVeer left in 1968 to open his own successful commercial photography business.  And finally James Garvey left for a new calling, he joined the Catholic Church as a priest.

The Photographers of Brady Stewart Studio; Dave VanDeVeer, James Garvey, Bobby Pavuchak, Ross Catanza

The Photographers of Brady Stewart Studio; Dave VanDeVeer, James Garvey, Bobby Pavuchak, Ross Catanza

For the next 25 years, the focus was on studio photographic services that included; presentation slides and vu-graphs, studio set-up photography, darkroom film services and prints, with some location photography mixed in.  You can view more of the photography work from 1950 to 1970 on the web site; http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/ (Living in Western Pennsylvania 1950 to 1960 and 1960 to 1970).  We will be digitizing more of the advertising work in the upcoming months.

The New Schlitz Aluminum Softop Beer Can - 1962.

The New Schlitz Aluminum Softop Beer Can – 1962.

A reminder that new images were added to the web site and they can be found at  http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  Gallery: Living In Western Pennsylvania 1950 – 1960 AND 1960-1970.  We also created a new Gallery “April 2015 New Images”. And all the images online are for sale and the proceeds are used to digitize and identify more prints and negatives from the archives.

Brady Stewart Studio’s commitment to local charitable organizations


The Pittsburgh Masonic Community

From the early 1900’s, Brady Stewart was involved in local charitable organizations.  Learning from the example set by his parents, Homer Clark and Alice Brady Stewart, Homer Stewart was Cashier for the First National Bank of McKeesport and very prominent in the fraternal circles in Pittsburgh. He was a charter member of the Fort Pitt Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons.

Homer Stewart in his Masonic uniform

Homer Clark Stewart

The masons were very active in the community raising money to help their own members who fell on hard times along with supporting local churches and soup kitchens.  One of the biggest fundraising activities was marching in parades around Pittsburgh.

Masonic Parade mustering on First Avenue in Pittsburgh

Masons assembling on First Avenue for St Patrick’s Day Parade

Brady became involved in local charitable organizations in 1901 (age 19).  He became an officer in the local Methodist Boy’s Brigade of McKeesport; a group that helped young male orphans and troubled youth gain structure and discipline through a military-like organization.  The Boys Brigade was one of the organizations that the Boys Scouts was modeled after.

McKeesport Boys Brigade

McKeesport Boys Brigade

Pittsburgh City Photographer

Brady Stewart began a career as a Pittsburgh City photographer in 1912.  Given the nature of the work, photographing before, during and after photos of public works projects, he did not work everyday.  In order to stay busy and make extra money, he started B.W. Stewart Studio in 1912.  Originally a portrait studio, the business evolved into a commercial photography studio in 1916.

Brady Stewart on location

Brady Stewart on location

During the many years of taking photographs around the city, he saw first hand how poor the living conditions were for many of the residents.  You can view a large portion of his City Photographer’s work on the University of Pittsburgh’s web site “City Photographers Collection”.  http://digital.library.pitt.edu/images/pittsburgh/cityphotographer.html.  During the early part of the Great Depression, he used the camera lens to capture one of his most famous photographs of Shantytown in the strip district.  It was also known as one of the nations’ “Hoovertowns”. named after President Hoover who many blamed for the depression.  The collection of photographs were published in the newspaper and created quite a stir and eventual action to help Father Cox and the residents of Shantytown.

Shantytown in Pittsburgh 1931

Shantytown in Pittsburgh 1931

Brady Stewart Studio Inc.

After World War II, Brady Stewart and Brady Stewart Jr focused on growing the studio into the best in the city.  They hired and trained a young group of photographers who made significant contributions to the business. The group included;  Ross Catanza, Dave VanDeveer, Robert Pavuchak, James Garvey and Carmen Sabatasso.  Ross Catanza later joined the photography staff at the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and was an award-winning photographer,  Dave VanDeveer opened and ran his own successful photography studio, Robert Pavuchak became an award-winning photographer at the Pittsburgh Press, Jim Garvey changed his vocation and became a priest and finally Carmen Sabatasso remain at Brady Stewart Studio until 1991.

The Photographers of Brady Stewart Studio; Dave VanDeVeer, James Garvey, Bobby Pavuchak, Ross Catanza

The Photographers of Brady Stewart Studio; Dave VanDeVeer, James Garvey, Bobby Pavuchak, Ross Catanza

Pittsburgh’s Charitable Organizations

During this time, many local Corporations became actively involved in charitable causes.  The middle class wages were growing and Pittsburgh’s corporations were growing at a tremendous rate. Corporations would routinely assign personnel to help the charities become better organized and more efficient.  Executives would join the boards of local charities to help guide the fundraising and direction of the charity.  And the service sector; Lawyers, Advertising Agencies and Architects were also very involved in helping the organizations raise money and create more awareness.  We helped Attorney C.K. Robinson create a brochure to raise money for the Western Pennsylvania School for the Blind.  Ketchum Advertising was always working on some kind of charitable brochure or mailing.

Western PA School for Blind

Western PA School for Blind

Brady Stewart Sr. and Brigadier Dries of the Salvation Army were long time friends, The Brigadier was a frequent visitor to the studio in his role directing Public Relations and disaster services for the Salvation Army from 1952 to 1968.  The studio provided professional services at no charge to most of the groups and I remember a “special” price list for churches and community organizations.

Brigadier Dries (center) of the Salvation Army and Brady Stewart photographer's, Dave VanDeVeer (left), Ross Catanza (right)

Brigadier Dries (center) of the Salvation Army and Brady Stewart photographer’s, Dave VanDeVeer (left), Ross Catanza (right)

Another significant group that helped support area churches, community organizations and civic projects were the first families of Pittsburgh.  The Mellon, Hillman, Frick, and Heinz families created foundations that provided monies yearly to support a wide range of charitable activities.  The one that was closest to our family was Allegheny Valley School for Exceptional Children.  In 1960, Patricia Hillman Miller and Bob Prince co-founded the school in the Crafton-Ingram section of Pittsburgh.  The School was established to help children with severe disabilities after a local state-run facility closed.  Both Bob Prince and later Myron Cope donated their time and created awareness for the school in many ways.  Bob Prince created the “Green Weenie” as a good luck charm for the Pittsburgh Pirates during the 1966 season.  Prince donated all the profits from the Green Weenie and speaking engagement to the school.  Less than 10 years later, Myron Cope, legendary announcer for the Pittsburgh Steelers, launched the Terrible Towel during the 1975 playoffs.  Myron’s son, who had severe autism, lived at Allegheny Valley School and like Prince donated all profits from the Terrible Towel to the school.  Upon Myron Cope’s death, he turned over the rights to the towel to the school.  Myron Cope also started the annual Vintage Grand Prix; an event in Pittsburgh that continues to benefit the school today.  The school estimates that Bob Prince was directly and indirectly responsible for at least $3M in donations and Myron Cope $4M.

Allegheny Valley School first location in Crafton-Ingram

Allegheny Valley School first location in Crafton-Ingram

Our uncle, Edward J. Zapp started working at the Crafton-Ingram school in 1965, after working 20 years for the State Department in foreign service.  He was ready to settle into a more stable profession.  He loved the work, the children and the overall mission of the school.  Brady Stewart Jr. was also very interested in the school and helped when he could with photographic services.  The concept for the new school in Coraopolis (1972) was to create job centers on the campus to help the young adults learn a trade.  The objective was to help them get a job in the community and to become more self-sufficient. Brady Stewart Jr. built a photographic studio on the campus so students could learn how to take photographs and process and print them.  It was a big success.  Other trade classes included; barber and beauty, sewing, and wood working.

Photographic Darkroom at Allegheny Valley School

Photographic Darkroom at Allegheny Valley School

During the 1970’s, Edward J Zapp was instrumental in establishing and proving the concept of group homes.  The group home was a way to enable young adults with disabilities to live and work in communities versus an institution.  Based on his work, the group home concept has been an overwhelming success.  After our uncle past away, Allegheny Valley School named a facility after him; The Edward J. Zapp Program Center in Coraopolis PA.

Bob Prince and the Pittsburgh Pirates

We added new images to the web site that relate to Bob Prince’s work with charities.  The Pittsburgh Pirates held an annual game with a team from the American League called the HYPO Game (first inter-league games).  The event included an old-timers game along with the baseball game

Roberto Clemente at the 1965 HYPO Game

Roberto Clemente at the 1965 HYPO Game

And we just added a number of images on Goodwill Industries (1966) when Bob Prince, Willie Stargell and other Pittsburgh Pirate players visited the facility.  The visit was in support of creating more awareness and to highlight the benefit of donating goods to Goodwill Industries.

Bob Prince and Willie Stargell at Goodwill Industries

Bob Prince and Willie Stargell at Goodwill Industries

Pittsburgh has a long tradition of giving to the less fortunate.  We remain one of the largest contributors per capita to the United Way Agencies along with many other church-based charity campaigns.  Yes we are biased, there are good people here and the city remains a great place to live and raise a family!

A reminder that new images were added to the web site and they can be found at  http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  Gallery: Living In Western Pennsylvania 1960-1970.  And that the images online are for sale and all proceeds are used to digitize and identify more prints and negatives from the archives.

Pittsburgh Highways during the 1900s


This week, we added 50 new images to the http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  Gallery: Living In Western Pennsylvania 1900-1910.

Pittsburgh to Greensburg Turnpike

The 15 images of Brady Stewart traveling in and around the Greensburg Turnpike are special in many ways.  Brady Stewart had just come through the worst year in his life due to the death of his best friend and younger brother Clark Stewart.  So in 1906, he purchased a new Buick Model F for around $1,300 and began to travel and take photographs all over western Pennsylvania and went to neighboring states to visit friends and relatives.  The specifications for the Buick Model F included; seats 4-5 passengers, 2 cylinder engine, 2-speed manual gearbox, rear wheel drive,  16 gallon fuel tank and roughly 20-25 miles per gallon.  The photo below in Oakland before starting off of one of his trips.

Brady Stewart's new Buick Model F

Brady Stewart’s new Buick Model F

Motoring Clothes for Automobiles

In 1906, there were approximately 79,000 automobiles on the roadways throughout the United States.  Clothing manufacturers saw an opportunity to take advantage of the new craze by developing lines of “Motoring” clothes for men and women.  As you can see from the images, the early cars did not offer much protection from the elements.  For men, there were coats, hats and gloves for driving and for changing a tire.  And let’s not forgot those great goggles that you have seen in the movies. For women, there were stylish motoring coats along with specially designed face veils that covered hats and protected them from the elements.  You can see examples in the photographs included in the blog and on the website  http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  Gallery: Living In Western Pennsylvania 1900-1910.

 

Going on a Picnic in the new Buick Model F

Going on a Picnic in the new Buick Model F

Owning and Driving an Automobile in 1906

We have all experienced challenges with our automobiles but I am not sure we can imagine what it was like in 1906.  To start with, there were no paved roads, highways, gas stations, and yes, no AAA outside the major cities.   AAA started in 1901 but did not become nationwide until the 1920’s.  Maps were first published by AAA in 1905 but they were very limited in size and scope.  They started paving roads around 1915, building highways in the 1920’s, and Gulf Oil opened the first “filling station” and sold maps in Pittsburgh in 1913.  In 1906, you purchased gas from a local general store, blacksmith or pharmacy.  Repairing your car could be an adventure depending on the problem;  frame damage needed a qualified blacksmith, engine issues required the dealership and minor issues such as flat tires… you.

Brady Stewart's Car stuck in the mud after a heavy rain

Didn’t listen to Joe Denardo, stuck in the mud

Automobile problems on the Greensburg Turnpike

Automobile problems on the Greensburg Turnpike

And when these problems occurred out in the country… good old horses saved the day!

AAA of Westmoreland County in 1906

AAA of Westmoreland County in 1906

Other Images Added to Living in Western Pennsylvania 1900-1910:

1.)  27 additional images to the 1904 family vacation to Lake Erie, near North East Pennsylvania

2.) 1 additional image to the Wabash Railroad progress photographs

3) 1 image of the 1904 Pittsburgh flood

4) 3 additional images of Highland Park during the winter of 1903

A reminder that the new images can be found at  http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  Gallery: Living In Western Pennsylvania 1900-1910.  And that the images online are for sale and all proceeds are used to digitize and identify more prints and negatives.

Pittsburgh Photography 1900-1910


This week, we added 90 new images to the http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  Gallery: Living In Western Pennsylvania 1900-1910 and Brady Stewart Studio Archives 1880-1910.

Highland Park Zoo 1903

We found five early images of Highland Park during the winter of 1903.  Two images are of the park including a view of the Highland Park skating rink that was formed when the city created Lake Carnegie from a nearby reservoir.  The skating rink was opened in 1894 thanks to the efforts of Director of Public Works, Edward Bigelow.  The next set of images are a bit depressing given the significant changes made to the Pittsburgh zoo habitat over the last 30 years.  But these are the same images that I remember while visiting the zoo during my childhood.

Lions cuddling at the Highland Park Zoo

Lions cuddling at the Highland Park Zoo

Bear Run Park

The Stewart family visited Stewart Township and Bear Run Park on a number of occasions to visit Alice Brady Stewart’s relatives in Stewart Township (Brady Family).  The following image and six others were taken during the summer of 1905.  Bear Run became famous later in the century when Frank Lloyd Wright built Fallingwater for the Kaufmann family in the 1930s.

 

Stewart visiting their Brady cousins in Stewart Township - Bear Run

Stewarts visiting their Brady cousins in Stewart Township – Bear Run

Pittsburg Pirates 1903

Brady Stewart took this image of the great Honus Wagner at Forbes Field.  Once the negative was processed, he contacted it with another negative to create a positive image of Mr. Wagner.  The final product needed to be an outlined image of the Flying Dutchman for an advertisement in the local Pittsburg paper.  With the background opaque, the printed background would be white so a printer could overlay the copy for the advertisement.  Honus Wagner purposely placed the bat on his left shoulder to see if anyone would notice it (he batted right-handed).

The great Honus Wagner posing with the bat on his left shoulder.

The great Honus Wagner posing with the bat on his left shoulder.

Other Images Added to Living in Western Pennsylvania 1900-1910:

5 Additional images of Brady Stewart’s first major photography assignment for the Wabash Railroad.

3 Additional images of the Stewart’s church trip to Lake Chautauqua New York in 1901.

 

Louisiana Purchase Exposition (also known as the St Louis World’s Fair)

Images can be found in Brady Stewart Studio Archives 1880-1910   http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list… Brady Stewart Studio Archives 1880-1910

Brady Stewart along with his mother Alice Brady Stewart and cousin, Margaret Gray, visited the fair during the fall of 1904.  Through his recent business relationship with the Wabash Railroad, he received discounted tickets and transportation to the fair.  After viewing the photographs and doing some research, I have to say that the Louisiana Purchase Exposition was a spectacular event visited by nearly 20 million people over a 7 month period.  The Exposition featured an abundance of new technologies and innovations including; electricity, automobiles, wireless telegraph, and airplanes.  And new manufacturing approaches for forging steel, mining coal / copper and manufacturing all kinds of consumer goods; shoes, stoves, cardboard boxes and many more.

Brady Stewart took this photo of the Festival Hall at night.  Electricity courtesy of Westinghouse Electric Co.

Brady Stewart took this photo of the Festival Hall at night. Electricity courtesy of Westinghouse Electric Co.

 

Other Images Added to Brady Stewart Studio Archives 1880-1910:

1.)  1 Unique image of the 8th Regiment of Immunes, training at Fort Thomas Kentucky for the Spanish-American War 1898.

2.) 4 images of Theodore Roosevelt’s inauguration day, March 4th, 1905

A reminder that the new images can be found at  http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  Gallery: Living In Western Pennsylvania 1900-1910 and Brady Stewart Studio Archives 1880-1910.  And that the images online are for sale and all proceeds are used to digitize and identify more prints and negatives.

Historical Pittsburgh Images 1900-1910


Historic Pittsburgh Images of the Boys Brigade 1903

As discussed in the previous blog, we are digitizing the entire collection of Living in Western Pennsylvania by year; this group is online,  http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  Gallery: Living In Western Pennsylvania 1900-1910.

The following sets of images were taken in 1903 in McKeesport and Gettysburg Pennsylvania.  Brady Stewart was part of a youth church group called the Boy’s Brigade.  I have to admit that prior to digitizing the images, I had not heard of the Boy’s Brigade.  After some online research, I found out that they were, and still are, a large international faith-based organization focused on building character and values within young boys and girls.  The Boys and Girls Club along with the Boys and Girls Scouts were loosely modeled after the Boy’s Brigade;

Image

Historic image of the Methodist Boys Brigade

The Methodist Boy’s Brigade from McKeesport participated in the 40th year anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.  Each boy in the Boy’s Brigade belonged to a company and each company was attached to a church.  The company is under control of a Captain who has a staff of Lieutenants, Warrant Offices, Helpers and Instructors. Each company was split into a number of sections by age;

1)      Anchor Boys:  for ages 6-8

2)      Junior Boys:  for ages 8-11

3)      Company Section: for ages 11-15

4)      Seniors:  for ages 15-18

The Boy’s Brigade uniforms from the beginning had a military look since it reflected the military approach of the organization which stressed drill and discipline.

Pittsburgh’s Boys Brigade In Historic Gettysburg 1903

The new images include Brady Stewart and members of the McKeesport Boy’s Brigade, participating in the 40th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.  The images also include members of the Pennsylvania National Guard along with Troop F of the 15th US Cavalry Unit.

Image

 

There are a total of 13 new Boy’s Brigade / Gettysburg images online now and can be viewed at http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  Gallery:  Living in Western Pennsylvania 1900-1910.  The next post will include new images of members of the Fort Pitt Masonic Lodge marching in the annual St Patrick’s Day Parade in Pittsburgh 1903.

Additional Historical Pittsburgh Images

We added two new images of Westmoreland County Coal Company and eight (8) Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania maps from 1750 to 1865.

And a reminder that all the images online are for sale and all proceeds are used to digitize and identify more prints and negatives.

The Brady Stewart Collection: Gift Ideas for the Holidays


The Brady Stewart Collection is overstocked on a variety of photographic prints in our archives.  When we created prints to fulfill customer orders, we usually made additional prints at the same time.  For a limited time and while supplies last, we are offering the overstocked prints for the low price of:  1) 8×10 = $15.95 (+ sales tax and shipping).  A great gift idea for the holidays… and for the person who has everything!

Let's go to the birthday party - 1955

Files include; photos of the Point, Pittsburgh Buildings, Pittsburgh City views , Sports, Local Businesses and a lot more. We have some of the examples in a gallery named “Overstocked Collection Prints” on the web site, the link: http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery/Overstocked-Collection-Prints/G0000PKPLcXXswU0/.  And we have a lot more than the ones inluded in the Gallery so the best way to find out if we have the print you want at the discounted price is to send us an email bstewartphoto@aol.com or call 724.554.9813.

Merry Christmas from the Stewart Family - 1949

All images in the blog and web site are copyrighted by Brady Stewart Studio Inc.  If you are interested in downloading an image or to purchase a print, please contact Brady Stewart Studio by phone (724.554.9813) or email bstewartphoto@aol.com.

Thank you for your interest in the Brady Stewart Collection of 20th Century Photographs.

Brady Stewart Collection Lantern Slides


We added 20 new images to the Brady Stewart Collection Archive web site and created a new Gallery – New Images added in June 2011. The new images can be viewed at http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.   Moving forward, I will create a new image Gallery for each month.  This should make it easier to view the new imaged added each month.  At the same time, I will move a copy of the new image into its related Gallery.   All images in the blog and web site are copyrighted by Brady Stewart Studio Inc.  If you are interested in downloading an image or to purchase a print, please contact Brady Stewart Studio by phone (724.554.9813) or email bstewartphoto@aol.com.

New Historical Photographs of Pittsburgh added to the Brady Stewart Collection Website – Vol. 10


We added 15 new images to the Brady Stewart Collection Archive web site and created a new Gallery – New Images added in December 2011. The new images can be viewed at http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.   Moving forward, I will create a new image Gallery for each month.  This should make it easier to view the new imaged added each month.  At the same time, I will move a copy of the new image into its related Gallery.   All images in the blog are copyrighted by Brady Stewart Studio Inc.  If you are interested in downloading an image or to purchase a print, please contact Brady Stewart Studio by phone (412.999.0538) or email bstewartphoto@aol.com.

New Images for December 1, 2011:

The New Alcoa Building

1.  Buildings and Architecture:  Two images of the new Alcoa Building in 1953.  One of the images includes the demolition of the People’s Gas Building to make room for Mellon Square (1955).  The Alcoa Building was unique in many ways; a radiant heating and cooling system is contained in the ceiling. Since there are no pipes, radiators, or air conditioning units along the exterior walls, an additional 15,000 square feet of rentable space was gained. Windows rotate 360 degrees so they can be washed from the inside.   The aluminum walls of the building are 1/8 inch thick, which gives the building a very light weight and economical design. It was the first skyscraper with an all-aluminum facade.

2.  Pittsburgh Businesses:  We added three images of the Gateway Clipper Fleet when it was moored next to the Monongahela Wharf.  The business was founded by John E. Connelly and consists of a fleet of riverboats The fleet cruises the three rivers of Pittsburgh and hosts parties, tours and provides river transportation to sporting events. The fleet is named after the city, which in earlier times was known as the “Gateway to the West”. The original riverboat, the Gateway Clipper, set sail in 1958 (Image of the first boat is in the Gallery named “Pittsburgh Area Businesses”.

The New Gateway Center

3. Pittsburgh Point Photographs:  We added three new images of the Point during the Gateway Center Construction.  The three views of the construction from the South Side are unique to the Collection.  The images were taken in the early morning by staff photographer, Ross Catanza.

Frick Park in Pittsburgh

4. Pittsburgh City Views:  We added 6 new images of two of the largest city parks in the Oakland-area of Pittsburgh.  We included two of Schenley Park and four of Frick Park.  Schenley Park became a reality when in 1889, Mary Schenley gave the city 300 acres of Mt. Airy Tract with an option to purchase 120 more, provided the park be named after her and never sold. The city bought the extra acres in 1891, and later purchased some adjoining land to complete the park.  The park system was a project developed by then Director of  Public Works, Edward Bigelow.  Schenley Park underwent a second period of growth in the 1930s and 1940s during Ralph Griswold’s tenure as the Director of Public Works. These images were taken after the second period of growth – 1952.

When Henry Clay Frick died in 1919, he bequeathed to the city 151 acres south of his Point Breeze mansion and provided a $2 million trust fund to help create the park and assist with its long-term maintenance. The city began moving in earnest to create the park in 1925, when it acquired 190 additional acres, presumably with the goal to create a park of similar size and scope to Schenley and Highland Parks. The park officially opened in 1927.  Innocenti and Webel, among the most respected landscape architects working in the United States, who made the greatest impact on the park. Their work from 1935 to 1957 involved designing more trails, planning for structures, and ordering green spaces and plantings.  The four images were taken during this time – 1952.

The new images can be viewed at http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.  All images in the blog are copyrighted by Brady Stewart Studio Inc.  If you are interested in downloading an image or to purchase a print, please contact Brady Stewart Studio by phone (724.554.9813) or email bstewartphoto@aol.com.

History behind the Brady Stewart Collection – Brady Stewart’s Parents/Alice Brady Stewart


Alice Brady Family Tree

On February 24th, 1881, Homer Stewart and Alice Brady were married in Cincinnati Ohio.  The groom’s parents were John Henderson and Emily Clark Stewart of Pittsburgh.  The bride’s parents were John Dunlop and Eliza Beares Brady of Cincinnati Ohio.  A photo of Alice Brady is on the right – 1886

The roots of both families were deep and distinguished in the state of Pennsylvania.  Our Brady family tree sprouted from Hugh and Hannah Brady in the early 1700s.  During the 1700s, the Brady’s personified the American spirit and fight for independence by serving in the state militia and continental army.

Captain John and Mary Quigley Brady                                                                                                                                                    Excerpts from the History of Lycoming County Pennsylvania – edited by John F. Meginness; ©1892

Capt. John Brady, second son of Hugh and Hanna Brady, came of Irish parentage, and was born in Delaware in 1733. He taught school in New Jersey for a few terms before his parents emigrated to the Province of Pennsylvania and settled near Shippensburg, Cumberland County, sometime in 1750. He learned surveying and followed it before the Indian troubles became, serious. In 1755 he married Miss Mary Quigley, of Cumberland County. John and Mary (Quigley) Brady had thirteen children, eight sons and five daughters. Two sons and one daughter died in infancy.

On the breaking out of the French and Indian war John Brady offered his services as a soldier, and July 19, 1763, he was commissioned a captain of the Second, Battalion of the regiment commanded by Governor John Penn, and took part in the Bouquet expedition. For this service he came in with the officers for a grant of land, which he selected west of the present borough of Lewisburg. In the spring of 1776 he erected a stockade fort and soon afterwards took his family to it.

John Brady was commissioned captain in the Continental Army, October 14, 1776, and on the 18th of December it left Sunbury to join the Army in New Jersey. When Washington moved his army to the banks of the Brandywine to intercept Howe, Brady was present with his company and took part in the engagement. He also had two sons in this battle. Samuel was first lieutenant in Capt. John Doyle’s company, having been commissioned July 17, 1776. John, his fourth son, born March 18, 1762, and then only fifteen years old, was there also.

Death of Captain John Brady                                                                                                                                                             Excerpts from the History of Lycoming County Pennsylvania – edited by John F. Meginness; ©1892

Nothing of unusual interest occurred in the vicinity of. Fort Muncy until the 11th of April, 1779, when Capt. John Brady was waylaid and shot by three Indians about one mile east of the fort. Brady had made himself particularly obnoxious to the Indians on account of his activity in opposing them. He took an active part in Colonel Hartley’s expedition and attracted the attention of the Indians by his bravery. Having been ordered to remain at home from the Continental Army to assist in guarding the frontier, he was active as a ranger and the savages thirsted for his blood.

When within a short distance of his home, instead of following the road taken by the wagon and guard, Brady proposed that they take another road which was shorter. They did so and traveled together until they came to a small stream now known as Wolf run. “Here,” Brady observed, “It would be a good place for Indians to hide,” when instantly three rifles cracked and Brady fell from his horse dead.

 Captain Samuel Brady (first son of Captain John and Mary Quigley Brady)                                                 Excerpts from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Brady)

 Samuel Brady was a frontier scout, distinguished soldier and the subject of many legends in the history of western Pennsylvania and northeastern Ohio.  In 1775, Samuel and his brother James joined the Continental Army. The first major battle of the Revolutionary War was the Battle of Boston. When the American Revolution broke out, Captain John Brady took his sons Samuel and James with him to fight in the trenches with General George Washington in Boston.  Samuel fought in the battles of New York, Trenton, Princeton, Germantown and survived Valley Forge.

In the spring of 1778, General Washington deployed Samuel Brady and other Pennsylvanians to the Pennsylvania and Ohio frontiers, their home territory, with which they would have both familiarity with the territory and a passion to defend it.

Samuel’s legend as an Indian Fighter started after the brutal slayings of his younger brother James and his father John within a month of each other (1779).  After hearing of his father’s death he raised his hand and vowed, “Aided by Him who formed yonder sun and heaven, I will avenge the murder of my father, nor while I live will I ever be at peace with the Indians of any tribe.”

Captain Samuel Brady spent the rest of the Revolution defending settlers on the Pennsylvania frontier, where he gained near legendary status as an Indian fighter and a spy on Indian activities in areas few whites would dare tread.  Samuel Brady gained his lasting notoriety for his leap over the Cuyahoga River around 1780 in what is now Kent, Ohio.  After following a band of Indians into the Ohio country, a failed ambush attempt resulted in the band chasing Brady near the Cuyahoga River. To avoid capture, Brady leaped across a 22-foot wide gorge of the river.   

John Brady Jr. (fourth son of Captain John and Mary Quigley Brady)                                                               Excerpts from the History of Lycoming County Pennsylvania – edited by John F. Meginness; ©1892

John, his fourth son, born March 18, 1761, and then only fifteen years old, joined the Continental Army with his father and older brother Samuel. He had gone to the army to ride some horses home, but noticing that a Battle of Brandywine was imminent, insisted on remaining and taking part. He secured a gun and joined the company. The Twelfth regiment was in the thickest of the fight, and Lieutenant Boyd, of Northumberland, was killed by Captain Brady’s side. His son John was slightly wounded.

John returned to the family farm/fort in order to work on and protect the family farm.  Since the Brady family farm was on frontier, Indian attacks were common throughout the region.  After his mother’s death, John married Jane McCall and along with his sisters took care of the younger Brady children. John settled in Northumberland County PA and became Sheriff in 1795.

Jasper Ewing Brady (Son of John and Jane McCall Brady)                                                                                             Excerpts from the BradyHeritage.org website & Jasper Ewing Brady’s photo is COURTESY OF THE BRADY FAMILY ASSOCIATION

Jasper Brady was born on March 4th, 1797 and was the nephew of the infamous Captain Sam Brady.  As a boy, he learned the trade of hatter in Northumberland County and after traveling from place to place he settled in Franklin County where he abandoned his trade and taught school several years, meanwhile studying law.  He was admitted to practice at Chambersburg in 1826 or 1827 and was successful.  In 1843, he was elected to the Pennsylvania Assembly and re-elected in 1844.  In 1846, Jasper was elected to Congress as a Whig and served until 1848.  While in Congress, he became great friends with Abraham Lincoln.

In September 1849, Jasper moved to Pittsburgh and practiced law successfully for 12 years.  He was an elder in the Presbyterian Church and filled the office of Clerk of the Session of the Second Presbyterian Church in the city for a number of years.  In 1861, he was appointed to a responsible position in the paymaster department in Washington.  After the establishment of peach and the reorganization of the department in 1869, Jasper retired from public service and continued to reside in Washington until he passed away in 1871.  His remarkable family of eight children attained distinction in many lines of work.

James Dunlop Brady (1830-1904) Eliza Beares Brady (1831-1896)                                                                         Information obtained from The Brady Family Association.  Photo is COURTESY OF THE BRADY FAMILY ASSOCIATION

 Alice Brady was one of 10 children from the marriage of James and Eliza Brady.  Out of the ten children, only 4 lived to an adult age. James met and married Eliza Beares Brady in Philadelphia PA.   James and family moved to Pittsburgh in 1871 to work for F.H. Eaton Company (sewing machine business).  It was during this time that Alice and Homer Stewart met and later married in 1881.  James was a businessman and eventually established his own livestock business in Pittsburgh PA and Cincinnati Ohio.

Homer, Alice and family visited the Brady family in Cincinnati on numerous occasions.  After the death of his brother and best friend Clark Stewart, Brady Stewart visited the Brady’s’ in Cincinnati Ohio and took many family-oriented photographs.  At this time, we have digitized a number of transportation-oriented images of that trip with many more to come soon.

The Brady Family Heritage Association  http://www.bradyheritage.org/Our Mission
The Brady Family Heritage Association is dedicated to identifying the descendants of Hugh & Hannah Brady, and to the preservation of the family’s rich tradition of honor and service to our country. The sense of duty to public service runs very boldly through all of the lines of descent from Hugh and Hannah. We are dedicated to making sure that the younger generations are aware of the sacrifices their ancestors made and their part in the history of the Untied States of America.The jewel of the Association is of course, the Brady Homestead. Under the Victorian clapboard siding, beats a heart of a rough hewn log cabin built by the hands of our ancestors in 1740. She has survived, unlike the others of her day, the constant burning down of pioneers homes. That is a rather amazing fact, due to the Bradys being the prolific Indian fighters that they were.

We are also dedicated to the education of the general public, who seems to take this period in our nation’s history for granted. The children of today are not instilled with the strong love of country and the value of honor and hard work that was prevalent in our ancestors. The Homestead is an opportunity to take them back into time to see how people lived and worked in the 1700’s, so that they may better appreciate what was done in the past and understand what the application of these ideals could mean to their future.

Photographic Images can be viewed at http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com.  All images in the blog and web site are copyrighted by Brady Stewart Studio Inc.  If you are interested in downloading an image or to purchase a print, please contact Brady Stewart Studio by phone (724.554.9813) or email bstewartphoto@aol.com.

History behind the Brady Stewart Collection – Brady Stewart’s Parents/Homer Clark Stewart


 
 
 
 

 

Homer Stewart in his Masonic uniform

Homer Stewart Family Tree

 

Brady Stewart was the first son born to Alice Brady Stewart and Homer Clark Stewart in 1882. Homer Stewart was born in Pittsburgh, January 16th 1856, son of John Henderson Stewart and Emily (Clark) Stewart.  Colonel John Henderson Stewart served honorable during the Civil War.  Emily Clark (Stewart) was the daughter of Reverend Homer Clark, a noted Methodist Minister and third President of Allegheny College in Meadville Pennsylvania. 

Who’s Who in America

Homer C. Stewart was included in the Encyclopedia of Biography, Who’s Who in America, in 1930.  Homer was educated in Fulton Public School and the commercial department of Central High School.  His business career included: 1874 – messenger boy for the Tradesman National Bank in downtown Pittsburgh; 1878 – bookkeeper for Barnes Safe and Lock Company; 1888 – Cashier for the First National Bank of McKeesport; 1901 – Colonial Trust Company of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh National Bank).

Homer Stewart married Alice Brady in Cincinnati, Ohio 1881.  The James D. Brady family had a livestock business located in both Pittsburgh and Cincinnati Ohio.

Homer occupied a prominent part in fraternal circles around Pittsburgh.  He was a charter member of the Fort Pitt Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; a member of the Mount Moriah Council, Royal and Select Masters; Past Eminent Commander of Pittsburgh Commandery, No. 1 Knights Templar, and for years active in the work of the group; thirty-second degree member of the Pennsylvania Consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Pittsburgh, and member of the Syria Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.

Homer and Alice Brady Stewart had four children; Brady Wilson, Clark Plummer, Helen, and Homer Kuhn.  Like many families around the turn of the century, the Stewart family had its fair share of tragedy.  While attending Penn State University in 1905, Clark Stewart, a promising tennis star, died suddenly from a heart ailment.  In 1910 and at the young age of 13, Homer Kuhn Stewart died from complications of Pneumonia.  And finally in 1922 at the age of 33, Helen Stewart, a graduate of Carnegie Institute of Technology and the Margaret Morrison School of Pittsburgh, died of cancer.  Homer and Alice persevered and remained a strong family unit until Homer passed away in 1926 and Alice 1932.  As one would expect, Brady Stewart was strongly affected by the death of his brother and best friend Clark, Homer and Helen.

Photos can be viewed at http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com

%d bloggers like this: