New Historical Photographs of Pittsburgh added to the Brady Stewart Collection Website – Vol. 4


New Images were added to the http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list on Sunday March 20th.

Advertising and Products

1) Westinghouse Electric Appliances.  At one time, Westinghouse Electric was one of the leading manufacturer of household appliances.  Naturally the appliances were all-electric and along with other manufacturers competed   against appliances that operated by natural gas.  We added images of Westinghouse Color and B&W Television sets from 1968.  The photographs were taken at the annual Westinghouse Showcase.  We also included Westinghouse Electric ranges and washers from 1962.

2) Kenmore Gas Ranges:  On Location photography for Ketchum McLeod and Grove at the Sears and Roebuck Store on the North Side of Pittsburgh – 1963.

3) Kenmore Wringer Washer:  On location photography at the Stewart house on Summit Street in Bethel Park – 1954.  Marjorie Stewart was the model for this advertisement for the new Kenmore Washer from Sears.  Marjorie still complains today that she did not get paid for the modeling assignments for Brady Stewart Studio… as you will see in later posts, there were a lot of them.

4) All Gas Starter Homes:  Location Photography for Ketchum McLeod and Grove of new homes in the North Hills.  One set of All Gas homes were located in Robinson Gardens and the others were built in the North Hills by Kaylor Builders – 1961.  In the 50s and 60s, the regional Electric and Gas companies partnered with local contractors to build and promote All Gas and All Electric homes.

5) Lady Schick Electric Shavers:  Studio photography of Schick products for a Christmas Catalog – 1960s.

6) Reymer’s Lemon Blennd:  New packaging for my favorite drink of all time.  On location photography for the Hamburg Brothers of the weekly drawing  for an electric phonograph.  Lemon Blennd was served.

7) New Images of the Golden Triangle/Point

8) Misc. images of a woman shopping for the new Evenflow baby bottles, Cooking with Gas, and a Guide to Entertaining with Westinghouse Electric Appliances

If you are interested in downloading an image or to purchase a print, please contact Brady Stewart Studio by phone (724.554.9813) or email bstewartphoto@aol.com.  Additional Images can be viewed at http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.

New Images were added to the http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list on Sunday March 20th.

Pittsburgh History: Evolution of The Point and Skyline 1948-1990 Vol. 3


Renaissance I (1949-1972)

After World War II, Pittsburgh began to transform itself into a major metropolitan city.  Long regarded as a smokyand dirty  industrial city with terrible standard of living, city leaders were determined to change the perception and reality of the claim.  Mayor David Lawrence and financier Richard K. Mellon embarked on pulling business and labor leaders together to remake the city.

The leaders used the Federal Housing Act of 1949 to obtain the funding required to begin the transformation.  The Act was of great importance in that it governed the way the immense financial resources of the federal government would shape the growth of American cities in the post-war era. Pittsburgh became the first major city to undertake a modern urban-renewal program in May 1950. Pittsburgh was infamous around the world as one of the dirtiest and most economically depressed cities, and seemed ripe for urban renewal. A large section of downtown at the heart of the city was demolished, converted to parks, office buildings, and a sports arena and renamed the Golden Triangle in what was universally recognized as a major success

The first major project was to design and build a new business district (Gateway Center) near the junction of the Three Rivers.  Completed in 1953, the three new Gateway Center buildings became the center piece of the city’s skyline for over 30 years.

The next major change to the skyline occured in the late 50’s and early 60’s.  During this time, new buildings were added to the skyline; the Hilton Hotel, Gateway 4, the Gateway Towers along with two new bridges.  The new bridges replaced the much older Manchester Bridge that connected the Point with the North Side and the Point Bridge that connected the Point with South Side.  The new Fort Pitt Bridge and Tunnels significantly improved the commute from the growing southern suburbs.  The c0nstruction of the Fort Duquesne Bridge, affectionly known as the bridge to nowhere, was started in 1963 but  not finished until 1969.

The late 60’s and early 70’s brought another round of new buildings that dotted the emerging Pittsburgh skyline.  One Oliver Place (K&L Gates) , the Westinghouse Building (11 Stanwix Street), One PNC Plaza and finally the US Steel Tower.  Photos of this transformation can be viewed at the Brady Stewart Collection web site – http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.

Other city projects completed during this time were the building of the Civic Arena (Mellon Center), Allegheny Center Mall (North Side), Three Rivers Stadium (North Side), and the Greater Pittsburgh Airport (Moon Township).

 

 

 

Renaissance II (1976-1988)

With the election of Mayor Richard Caliguiri in 1976, the city began a new chapter in the Evolution of the Point and Skyline.  Richard Caliguiri renewed the public-private partnership which allowed for private funding of development through the public authority.  The skyline exploded with the building of 4 new skyscrapers; BNY Mellon (formerly One Mellon Center), PPG Place, Fifth Avenue Place, and One Oxford Center.

Additional buildings completed during this time were the CNG Tower, Federated Tower, the David Lawrence Convention Center, and the Westin Hotel.  Other notable construction projects completed during this time included, the Pittsburgh International Airport, the Light Rail Transit System (subway), Station Square (South Side), and the Pittsburgh Technology Center (former J&L Steel site).

If you are interested in downloading an image or to purchase a print, please contact Brady Stewart Studio by phone (724.554.9813) or email bstewartphoto@aol.com.  Additional Images can be viewed at http://bradystewartphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-list.

%d bloggers like this: